Introduction to the Middle East Paints and Coatings Market
The coatings market size in the Middle East is expected to be valued at over US$ 4690 Mn in 2022, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 4.7% during the forecast period 2022-2032. With the rising demand in the coatings industry Middle East, the market valuation is expected to reach a global valuation of US$ 7447.9 Mn by 2032.
This white paper by Future Market Insights will shed light upon the coatings industry outlook, present scenario of the Middle East Paints and Coatings Market, the growth of coatings by type, key players, driving factors, critical challenges, and top trends.
Coatings are primarily used in the automotive, building, transportation, and timber industries. The Middle East coatings market expanded quickly in 2021 as a result of a rise in infrastructure products in several Middle Eastern countries. The Middle East paints and coatings market is further anticipated to expand over the next few years as governments raise public funding to finance new projects.
Furthermore, the coatings industry in Middle East will get stronger in the near future as a result of the building of hotels and restaurants, the repainting of historic hotels, and the upkeep of the architectural and aesthetic infrastructure (to draw tourists). Throughout the forecast period, the Middle East paints and coatings market is anticipated to see several possibilities due to the rising demand for eco-friendly products.
Growth forecast by key Coatings type in Middle East
In comparison to Europe, the Middle East paints and coatings market has comparatively low coating consumption rates. However, as these economies continue to develop, sales have risen sharply in recent years. Some of the prominent types of coatings that are gaining traction in the market are:
- Architectural coatings: Saudi Arabia has the largest share in architectural coatings in the Middle East, notwithstanding recent decreases brought on by austerity measures. Also, with the rising number of building permits and building construction in Qatar, the demand for architectural coatings has increased at a rapid pace. It is estimated that by 2022, the Middle East architectural coatings will account for over 60% of the total market share in the Middle East Paints and Coatings market.
- Industrial coatings: Two exceptional markets with noticeable demand can be found in the Middle East for industrial coatings - Iran and Saudi Arabia are thought to account for around one-third of all industrial coatings demand in the Middle East.
- Protective coatings: The civil engineering industry is where protective coatings are most in demand in the Middle East coatings market. The regions growing economies have played a significant role in the increase in construction productivity by driving demand for building supplies, especially protective coatings.
- Marine coatings: Since the maritime sector is closely linked to imports and exports for the petroleum and gas industry, which sends numerous boats to the Middle Eastern nations each year, the need for marine coatings in those nations is mostly driven by ship repair and maintenance.
The driving factors for industrial coatings in the Middle East
According to the coating market white paper by Future Market Insights, some of the dominant drivers that have pushed the demand to potential skyrocketting numbers are:
- Expanding O&G production to boost the growth of industrial coatings: Coatings are utilized to cover Jackets, Pipework, Flare Bloom, Riser, and Living Quarters in onshore plants, which are employed in the oil and gas sector to safeguard both on-shore and offshore rigs. The number of oil and gas contracts in the Middle East increased by 62% in June 2022, from 29 to 47 contracts. Since it demands global technical standards, the sizable industrial coatings market being established by the Middle Eastern oil and gas industry is particularly alluring to North American, European, and Japanese coatings firms. Due to the climate in the area, which calls for resistance to scorching temperatures, UV rays, and probable abrasion, its requirements are considerably more demanding.
- The growing architectural sector demands cutting edge coating specifications: Due to their fast-growing economies, which are driving up spending on commercial, institutional, and residential construction sectors, Middle Eastern nations are among those with the fastest-rising markets for construction companies. The Middle East's building industry will expand as a result of more urbanization initiatives. Some of the most beautiful structures in the entire globe, many of which have classical façades, can be found in several Middle East countries. Modern façades with cutting-edge aesthetics, innovation, thermal efficiency is extremely valuable and calls for rising demand for industrial and protective coatings sales in Middle East.
- The maritime industry will continue to be a growth accelerator for coatings demand in Middle East: A variety of ships, including freight and commercial ships, use marine coatings. Coatings made of marine polyurethane are used on seaward structures like pipelines, large transporter stages, oil apparatuses, and storage areas as well as on commercial and recreational projects. The equipment receives a durable, tin-free coating from the anti-fouling coating, making it strong and bright. This coating works well in a variety of conditions and can be applied to steel, glass, or wood. It prevents corrosion and functions best in situations with both freshwater and saltwater and drives demand in the Middle East paints and coatings market. For instance, Akzo Nobel International Perfection Gloss, Hempel Ocean Performer 7110E, and Jotun Jotaguard 690 are a few brands of marine coatings in the Middle East.
- Development of smart paints with highly resilient characteristics could be a potential opportunity area for future Today, we live surrounded by smart technology, and with the use of conductive paint, a wall may now be transformed into a smart device. This paint contains a conductive nickel grid that forms electrodes on the wall. The wall can thus function as an electromagnetic sensor, or touchscreen, tracking the position, spotting things, and responding to gesture commands. All smart gadgets can be controlled from the wall when this technology is made commercially available. This innovation will be expected to create a lucrative opportunity for the paints and coating industry in the forecast period.
- Incremental Technological Advancement in the Paints and Coating Industry is Expected to create opportunities New generations of high-performing coalescent, resins, reactive modifiers, tougheners, deformers, colors, and other additives have been produced as a result of market-wide R&D activity focused on low-VOC technologies to meet growing requirements. Some of the new innovative technologies that will create opportunities in the future are Greener, Faster Drying Paint, Self-Cleaning Paint, One Coat Wonders, Sheen and Scrubbability, Clearing the Air, and Color Matching Apps.
Critical challenges for coatings suppliers in Middle East and points of action
Apart from the restrictions that were imposed in 2020, two more prominent restraints can stymie the growth of the Middle East paints and coatings market during 2022-2032.
- Growing environmental regulation: Volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which are included in nearly all paints and coatings, constitute one of the major obstacles due to the stringent environmental laws. The Middle East coatings market is constantly faced with the task of decreasing VOC content, substituting it, and guaranteeing consistent performance. Due to the production of dangerous substances utilized close to the body, environmental rules on the use of non-biodegradable substances and full of chemical items have been strengthened. Manufacturers are now under pressure to adhere to the new regulations by altering their production processes, natural resources, or the composition of those materials, or by swapping to environmentally friendly materials, such as biopolymers, which can occasionally have an impact on their operating margins.
- Risk of product substitution: According to the Future Market Insights Coatings market white paper, due to stringent environmental regulations in the Middle East paints and coatings market, manufacturers are required to be very diligent about choosing the raw materials for the products. A significant amount of money is being spent on research and development by several important players to create cutting-edge technology and creative solutions that will allow paint manufacture to adhere to standards for the chemicals employed. Several studies on nanoparticles are currently being conducted in the labs of organizations, businesses, and universities. These studies have generated numerous patent applications. Along with this, governments and authorities are concentrating on the negative effects that hazardous chemicals have on the environment and human life. As a result, they are creating laws and regulations that limit the use, production, and transportation of chemicals that could be detrimental to the environment. This in turn, will impede the demand for industrial coatings in the Middle East.
One Coat, high-durability (HD) wall coatings, emulsified technology, the utilization of bio-based materials, green architecture, and low-emitting interior coatings are just a few of the most recent innovations that have been created for architectural paints and coatings in the Middle East market. These coatings are being made by adhering to the strict regulations of the Middle East Coatings rules and regulations.
The development of architectural coatings that make it simpler to reuse, repurpose, and recycle a structure at the end of its useful life is what enables the circular economy. Products that supposedly improve air quality, are sustainable in their production process will be the focus areas for coatings manufacturers in future.
Winning strategies in the Middle East Paints and Coatings Market
- Diverse distribution channels: Key players in the market should focus on adopting alternative distribution channels, such as the online channel, to further strengthen their market presence in regional as well as global markets.
- Product Innovation: Emphasis on product innovation along with the focus on sales through direct distribution are the two major differentiating factors that will enable organized players to hold significant market shares in the global and regional markets
- Key players should gear up to benefit from global supply chain networks to establish long-term strategic supply contracts. Furthermore, key players’ strategic focus should be on creating a sustainable growth framework with growing domestic partners to help in maintaining growth in the near future
- Competitive Pricing: Offering competitively priced products and inventing the latest coating technologies with low VOC emissions that adhere to stringent specifications and standards is expected to be a key success factor
- Effective deployment of Digital Transformation: The paints and coatings industry in general has been a laggard in adopting digital transformation. In the past year alone, several new online marketplaces, including B2B and B2C e-commerce platforms, have emerged, creating new opportunities for industry players to reach millions of customers. The COVID-19 pandemic has further strengthened the arrival of digital platforms with increased remote ways of working. In addition technologies such as AI, IOT can bring about operatioal efficiency and reduced costs, a key imperative to overcome any economic downturn and succeed in the long term